In an exclusive, Yuvraj Singh talks about his game, Raima Sen and marriage

THE man makes news wherever he goes. Whether it’s hitting six consecutive sixes, walking the ramp or having dinner with a Bollywood actress, the vice-captain of India’s ODI team Yuvraj Singh attracts media attention without even trying. Yuvi, who has gone through two break-ups recently, gets candid and tells why he’s begun to take gossip in his stride.

Now that you’re a part of the Indian Test squad, which aspects of your game will you concentrate on?
I didn’t have a good Test series in Australia because of my knee injury but now I am 100 per cent fit. I’ll focus on playing my natural game. That’s priority.

Last year was very eventful for you. How’s the confidence level this year?
When you’ve had a few bad games, your confidence level tends to go down. But I’ll give my game everything and try and spend more time in the middle. There were a lot of questions raised about your form recently...
I was in brilliant form last year. But nobody can stay on top all the time. I need one good game to regain my form. And I’m sure I’ll do it soon.

With cricket becoming such a young game, do you think it will affect senior players?
I don’t think cricket is such a young game. It’s the game of the young and the experienced. Indian team is quite young but the average age of other teams, including the Australian team, is more than ours.

You’ve all the requisite qualities of a leader, so what’s your take on captaincy?
My dream is to lead the Indian team one day. But before that I have to garner all the experience required for the job.

What’s the biggest threat for Team India from the South Africans?
Their pace attack. We’re playing in India, so we’ll have the home advantage. It’s a spin wicket, so Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble will be effective. But then, we need to play really well because it’s a very good team we’re up against.

Raima and you hit it off well during the fashion week in Delhi. Is there a romance brewing?
(Laughs) I’ve known Raima for quite sometime. She’s my friend but there’s nothing brewing here. It’s funny. The moment I’m seen with a girl, I’m linked with her. It’s nothing but gossip and I’m used to it now.

After having been though a rigamarole of relationships, what’s your opinion on marriage?
I don’t want an arranged marriage because it’s important to know your partner well. But my mother’s consent is very important. My gal will have to be pally with my mom and take care of my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi...